Terms and Conditions
The main purpose of Soft-Tech Internet is to provide access to the Internet for its subscribers through its various service types. It is the intention of Soft-Tech Internet to allow its subscribers that access with minimal or no interference In a multi-subscriber environment such as Soft-Tech Internet, the actions of a single subscriber may have a severe impact on other customers' abilities to access the Internet.
It is not uncommon for an Internet Service Provider (ISP) to be blocked from use of another organization's systems due to repeated misuses of that ISP's resources. As we feel that this would be grossly unfair to our many subscribers, Soft-Tech Internet has adopted these Acceptable Use Policies.
They are intended to provide guidelines on what Soft-Tech Internet constitutes inappropriate use of the access to the Internet and alert our subscribers to whatever actions we may be forced to take, with or without notice, should we become aware of the inappropriate use of this service. Soft-Tech Internet recognizes that many of the individual components of the Internet have other specific guidelines for use.
The preservation of Soft-Tech Internet's technical resources, the continuation of its high quality service to its customers, the compliance with existing laws and regulations, and the protection of Soft-Tech Internet's reputation as a service provider compel us to enact the Acceptable Use Policies detailed below.
These guidelines will be enforced when dealing with complaints from the Internet community to determine when action should be taken. All Soft-Tech Internet subscribers and advertisers are expected to follow these policies.
ACCESS TO Soft-Tech Internet's INTERNET SERVICE IS PROVIDED SUBJECT TO THE FOLLOWING TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. Warranties / Disclaimers:
The Soft-Tech Internet Internet service is provided on an "as is, as available" basis. While our intention is to provide more than adequate bandwidth to support our subscriber base, no warranties, express or implied, including, but not limited to, those of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose, are made with respect to Soft-Tech Internet or any information or software therein.
Soft-Tech Internet shall have no liability or responsibility for any direct, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages suffered by you in connection with your use of or inability to use the Soft-Tech Internet services including, but not limited to, damages from loss of data resulting from delays, non-deliveries, misdeliveries, service interruptions, or the inadvertent release or disclosure of information sent by you even if the same is caused by Soft-Tech Internet's own negligence.
Soft-Tech Internet further specifically disclaims to the full extent permitted by applicable law any responsibility for, and under no circumstances shall be liable for any conduct, content, goods, and services available on or through the Internet or through Soft-Tech Internet services. In no event shall Soft-Tech Internet's aggregate liability exceed the amount paid by you to Soft-Tech Internet for Soft-Tech Internet services. Use of any information obtained via Soft-Tech Internet's Internet service is at the user's own risk.
Soft-Tech Internet specifically disclaims any responsibility for the accuracy, safety, or quality of information obtained through its services.
The subscriber is responsible for all use of subscriber's account(s), confidentiality, safety of password(s), and ensuring file protections are set correctly. Soft-Tech Internet retains the right to suspend access or change access to subscriber's account(s) immediately upon notification by subscriber that subscriber's password has been lost, stolen, or otherwise compromised.
Soft-Tech Internet is not liable for the consequences of any usage of compromised accounts prior to Soft-Tech Internet making the necessary account alteration. No computer system should be considered safe from intrusion, although electronic mail (e-mail) on this system is as private as we can make it. E-mail should not be considered a secure means of communication even if encrypted (which is only as secure as the encryption method utilised).
3. Personal Files:
Soft-Tech Internet is not responsible for subscriber's personal files residing on Soft-Tech Internet. Soft-Tech Internet reserves the right to delete subscriber's personal files after one or both parties terminates the service agreement between Soft-Tech Internet and subscriber.
4. Non-Transferability of Account:
The right to use Soft-Tech Internet's Internet service is not transferable, being expressly limited to the individual or business whose name appears on the account.
5. Network Address Ownership:
Any network address assignments issued by Soft-Tech Internet (i.e., IP address) are the property of Soft-Tech Internet and are assigned dynamically. In the event service with Soft-Tech Internet is discontinued for any reason, such addresses will revert to Soft-Tech Internet. The network addresses are assigned on a per session basis and are designed to allow for Web Surfing. This design/assignment of network addresses could effect (not allow) some games/services (IRC, CU-SeeMe, web page hosting) which require a fully qualified address.
6. Compliance with all Laws:
- to use the service in a manner consistent with any and all applicable laws and regulations. Reproduction or transmission of any material in violation of any local, state, Australia/National., or international law or regulation is prohibited
- that any material to be reproduced or transmitted on Soft-Tech's service through subscriber's account(s) does not violate or infringe any patent, trademark, copyright, statutory, common law, or proprietary rights of others
- that such material as might be reproduced or transmitted on Soft-Tech Internet's service through his/her account does not contain anything obscene, libellous, or threatening. Subscriber agrees software intended to facilitate any such violations or infringements may not be stored on Soft-Tech Internet
- at Soft-Tech Internet's discretion, not to use Soft-Tech Internet services or accounts for inappropriate usage; and
- subscriber shall defend, indemnify and hold harmless Soft-Tech Internet from and against any claims, liabilities and expenses, including reasonable attorneys' fees, resulting from subscriber's use of the Soft-Tech Internet service or subscriber's account(s) in an unlawful manner or otherwise in violation of or contrary to subscriber's Agreement with Soft-Tech Internet or Soft-Tech Internet's Acceptable Use Policies.
7. Acceptable Conduct:
The following usage of Soft-Tech Internet resources is deemed acceptable under the terms of service:
- usage for private personal communications
- usage for public communications as suggested by the charters of USENET newsgroups, and the well-known guidelines generally accepted by the users and news administrators of same
- usage for research or educational purposes; and
- usage for data communications in accordance with applicable laws
8. Unacceptable Conduct:
The following types of conduct are grounds for immediate suspension of service pending investigation by Soft-Tech Internet and may result in termination of the account(s) determined to have originated this conduct. In addition, Soft-Tech Internet reserves the right, where feasible, to implement technical blocks to multiple postings by a Soft-Tech Internet subscriber as described in (A), (B), (C), and (F) below before such postings are forwarded:
- violation of any applicable local, state, federal, or international laws
- posting identical or substantially similar articles to an excessive (more than 10) number of newsgroups or continued posting of articles which are off topic for a newsgroup (according to the newsgroup charter or which provoke complaints from the regular readers of the newsgroup for being off topic). Soft-Tech Internet will apply a charge of $0.05 per copy for misposted USENET articles
- sending unsolicited mass (to more than 15 users) e-mailings which provoke complaints from the recipients. Any subscriber who perpetrates such unsolicited non-commercial mass e-mailings shall be subject to a $1,000 service charge, payable to Soft-Tech Internet. Unsolicited commercial advertisements are not allowed in e-mail. Soft-Tech Internet will apply a charge of $150 per user for unsolicited commercial e-mail
- engaging in either (a) or (b) from a provider other than Soft-Tech Internet while using an account on Soft-Tech Internet as a mail drop for responses, or to draw attention to a web site housed within Soft-Tech Internet's networks
- continued harassment of other individuals on the Internet after being asked to stop by those individuals and by Soft-Tech Internet
- mail bombing (the transmission of large volumes of unsolicited e-mail to individuals or to individual business accounts)
- impersonating another user or otherwise falsifying one's user name in e-mail, USENET postings, on Internet Relay Chat (IRC), or with any other Internet service
- privacy violations: Any attempt to gain access to any other system or users' private data without express consent of the user. Such attempts include, but are not limited to, tricking other people into releasing their passwords, password cracking, and security hole scanning
- use of IRC 'bots or clone bots on Soft-Tech Internet. An IRC 'bot is a program which runs and is connected to an IRC server 24 hours a day, automatically performing certain actions
- use of programs or methods that trick our systems from disconnecting an inactive user after a pre-determined amount of time (or on deactivation of the Ad Bar), and/or a program that connects or re-connects the user's session automatically and without his/her manual intervention
- network unfriendly activity. Any attempt to interfere with the regular workings of Soft-Tech Internet's systems or network connections or which adversely affect the ability of other people or systems to use Soft-Tech Internet services or the Internet, including, but not limited to:
- any unauthorized attempts by a user to gain root access or access to any account not belonging to that user on this or any other Soft-Tech Internet system
- any use of this or any other Soft-Tech Internet system as a staging ground to disable other systems
9. Right to Disconnect Nondedicated Accounts:
Soft-Tech Internet unlimited access dial-up connections are not intended to be full-time dedicated connections and will be disconnected according to any conditions defined in the pricing structure found in Access Accounts under the relevant account categories. Subscriber agrees not to use any automatic method to avoid disconnection, to keep the connection active only when the subscriber is actively using it, and not to provide public information services over the connection.
Soft-Tech Internet reserves the right to impose a restriction on accounts deemed by it to be in violation of these conditions.
10. Excess Utilization of System or Network Resources:
Soft-Tech Internet flat rate/unlimited access services are subject to fair use to ensure an enjoyable internet experience for all subscribers. Where Soft-Tech Internet determines that excessive utilization adversely affects Soft-Tech Internet's ability to provide service for all subscribers this may result in immediate action to relieve the problem. In that event, the subscriber will be notified as soon as is practicable.
11. Compliance with Rules of Other Networks:
Any access to other networks connected to Soft-Tech Internet's Internet service must comply with the rules for that other network as well as with Soft-Tech Internet's rules.
12. Monitoring / Privacy:
Soft-Tech Internet reserves the right to monitor any and all communications through or with CAIS facilities. Subscriber agrees that Soft-Tech Internet is not considered a secure communications medium for the purposes of the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, and that no expectation of privacy is afforded. It may become necessary for Soft-Tech Internet employees to examine system accounting logs and other records to determine if privacy violations or other network unfriendly activities have occurred.
Soft-Tech Internet also reserves the right to access a subscriber's mailbox or other files stored on Soft-Tech Internet systems to resolve system problems or mail system errors.
13. Cooperation with Authorities:
Soft-Tech Internet reserves the right to cooperate with law enforcement and other authorities in investigating claims of illegal activity including, but not limited to, illegal transfer or availability of copyrighted material, postings, or e-mail containing threats of violence or other illegal activity.
14. Confidentiality of Personal Subscriber Information:
Soft-Tech Internet will not release a subscriber's personal subscriber information, nor a subscriber's billing information to any third party except upon presentation of a valid court order of a government or entity within our jurisdiction. Subscriber agrees that Soft-Tech Internet's judgment as to the validity of any court order of subpoena shall be considered proper and final.
15. Right to Suspend or Cancel Account:
Soft-Tech Internet reserves the right to suspend or cancel service to a subscriber at any time and without notice for any reason including, but not limited to, refusal or failure to pay for services provided or by sole judgment of Soft-Tech Internet that the subscriber may be performing activities harmful to Soft-Tech Internet or its subscribers, employees, vendors, business relationships, or any other users of the Internet.
16. Right to Damages:
Soft-Tech Internet reserves the right to collect damages (software, hardware, and man hours) if any harm is done to Soft-Tech Internet which requires repair or reconfiguration of any kind.
17. Other Remedies / Non-Waiver:
Nothing contained in these policies shall be construed to limit action Soft-Tech Internet may take or remedies available to Soft-Tech Internet in any way with respect to any of the described conduct.
Soft-Tech Internet reserves the right to take any additional actions Soft-Tech Internet may consider appropriate with respect to such conduct, including, without limitation, taking action to recover the costs and expenses of identifying offenders and removing them from the Soft-Tech Internet service, and levying cancellation charges to cover Soft-Tech Internet's costs in the event of disconnection of dedicated access for the causes outlined above.
In addition, Soft-Tech Internet reserves at all times all rights and remedies available to Soft-Tech Internet with respect to such conduct at law or in equity. Non-enforcement of any policy or rule herein does not constitute consent or waiver, and Soft-Tech Internet reserves the right to enforce such policy or rule at its sole discretion.
18. Right to Change Service:
Soft-Tech Internet reserves the right to change without notice the Soft-Tech Internet service, including, but not limited to, access procedures, hours of operation, menu structures, commands, documentation, vendors, and services offered.
19. Right to Modify Acceptable Use Policies:
Soft-Tech Internet may modify its Acceptable Use Policies upon notice published on line via Soft-Tech Internet's web page. Subscriber's use of Soft-Tech Internet services after such notice shall constitute subscriber's acceptance of the modifications to these policies.
20. Telephone Charges (POP) Local Dial-in Errors Policy
It is the responsibility of the subscriber to verify with their local telephone company their correct access number to insure a local connection
Soft-Tech Internet assumes no liability for Telephone charges incurred by users for incorrectly entering a local access number in their computer. Soft-Tech Internet does not pay for the cost of connecting to our POPs under any circumstances. In addition, Soft-Tech Internet will not reimburse customers for Telephone charges under the following conditions:
- failure to adequately install our software product
- improperly entering the local access number
- improperly obtaining a local access number from the Readme File or the Soft-Tech Internet technical support pages
- improperly obtaining a local access number from Customer Service or any other Soft-Tech Internet employee
- improperly obtaining a local access number from the technical insert provided with the software upon receipt of the product
----- Terms & Conditions © Soft-Tech Internet -----